Thursday 5 July 2012

A bunch of colors

Hey.

I know, it's been a while, but wasn't much to say. Even now, all I have to talk about is knitting related.

First, I finished this project at the end of May, but only got around to taking a picture last week. The pattern is called Daybreak, by Stephen West, and the yarn is Berroco Vintage DK. It's the third time I use this pattern. I love it!!
The shawl was made for the OT school principal, as a thank you for all the help and support I had throughout my master's program (especially with the health issues). Her favorite color is purple, and she's always cold. So I thought this project would be fitting. And she loved it.


I have been working on a laceweight pullover (short sleeves) since April first. Like I said, it's laceweight, which means the yarn is tiny, and it takes forever. But the end is in sight. Less than a dozen of row until bind off, then a few rounds on each sleeve. And then, DONE!! No pictures yet, but will do when it's completed, washed and dried. Soon, I promise.

I've started planning my next project. It's an other shawl/scarf, but this time, for me. It requires three colors. It's called the Color Affection shawl. I've been looking in my stash and in stores, but couldn't find anything that had the right weight or the right color combination. Then I started thinking. I've been experimenting on dyeing, maybe I could dye my yarn to the colors I want. I have 4 skeins of blanks (colorless yarn). Enough to do some more experimenting, and three left for the final yarn.
Here's what I did. I took little bits of one of my skein, and dyed them in a bunch of different colors with different methods (food coloring, kool-aid and acid dyes).  Here they are, all 54 of them:


After playing with different possiblities of color combination (there was a lot of them that were really nice), my eye caught this one:


So I died them (the yellow and black are Jacquard Acid Dyes; the blue is food coloring: a ratio of 4:1 of neon blue and red):

The grey turned out black, because my techniques aren't quite good enough to make colors that are not saturated. I love the combo, and can't wait to cast on (but only when the pullover is finished).


I also started spinning. I kept on telling myself I didn't want to start spinning. But then, a few weeks ago, I met up with a group of spinners, and they showed me. All was fine, until I walked into a LYS (local yarn store) and stumbled upon the fibre and the spindles. A braid of fibre (75% BFL and 25% silk) and a spindle followed me home. That is how, last Sunday, I started spinning:


This Saturday, I write the OT national exam. It's a 4 hour multiple question exam. Wish me luck!!


2 comments:

  1. Je vais penser à toi fort fort pour samedi.
    Laisse moi savoir comment cela a été....xxxxx

    ReplyDelete